A combatant means a person who engages or proposes to engage as a contestant in a combat sport contest.
Combatants that reside in NSW must register with the Combat Sports Authority.
Combatants must apply to the Combat Sports Authority to be registered for all the different styles of combat sports in which they contest.
For each style of combat sport for which you seek registration you must register as either:
- professional or
Note: The Combat Sports Authority will not issue a registration to a combatant registering for the first time as a professional until 21 days after the application is made.
The different styles of combat sports are grouped into the following classes for the purpose of combatant registrations. Different styles of combat sports are grouped together where there are similarities in their rules and the skills required of a combatant.
- Boxing participants, being persons who engage in boxing (fist fighting) in any of its styles
- Kick Boxing participants, being persons who engage in kick boxing in any of its styles, including Thai Boxing / Muay Thai
- Mixed Martial Arts participants, being persons who engage in Mixed Martial Arts in any of its styles
- Martial Arts participants, being persons who engage in any other form of martial arts that are not exempted.
You may apply to be an amateur in one registration class and a professional in another registration class. You may not be registered as an amateur and a professional within a registration class. For example:
- You may be registered for both amateur boxing and professional MMA
- You may not be registered for both professional Muay Thai and amateur kickboxing because Muay Thai and kickboxing are within the same registration class.
Note: If you are registered as a professional and you have competed as a professional you may never again register as an amateur in that class with the Combat Sports Authority.
There are age restrictions that apply for persons to engage in a combat sport contest in NSW:
- Persons under age 14 years cannot be registered as a combatant in any class.
- Persons under age 18 years cannot be registered as a professional combatant.
- Persons under 18 years may not compete in any combat sport contest that is held in a cage.
Combatants must supply the following documents (on the approved forms) to make application to be registered.