Constitution and status
The Combat Sports Authority of New South Wales is constituted by the Combat Sports Act 2013.
The Combat Sports Authority is, for the purposes of any Act, a NSW government agency.
The Combat Sports Authority is subject to the direction and control of the Minister in the exercise of its functions, except in relation to the contents of a report or recommendation made by it to the Minister.
The Combat Sports Authority has the following functions in accordance with the Act and Combat Sports Regulation 2014:
- supervise and regulate professional and amateur combat sport in NSW
- advise the Minister on matters related to combat sports and the Act, and
- promote awareness of issues relating to combat sports.
The Authority consists of the following members:
- a nominee of the Commissioner of Police approved by the Minister,
- not fewer than 4 and not more than 6 persons appointed by the Minister.
Of the members appointed by the Minister:
- one is, in and by the instrument of appointment or another instrument made by the Minister, to be appointed as Chairperson of the Authority, and
- one is to be a medical practitioner, and
- one is to be a person who is or has been a Judge of a court in Australia or has been an Australian lawyer for at least 7 years.
The current members of the Combat Sports Authority are listed below.
Mr Denis Fitzgerald AM (Chair)
- Chairperson, Combat Sports Authority
- CEO Parramatta Rugby League Club 1978 – 2009
- Former NSWRL, ARL & NRL Board member
- Former Parramatta, NSW & Australian Rugby League player
- Alderman on Parramatta City Council 1987 – 1991
- Trustee of Parramatta Stadium Trust 1989 – 2012
- Chairman of the Parramatta Liquor Accord 2003 – 2009
- Director of the Sydney Olympic Park Authority 2009 to present
- Trustee Parramatta Park Trust 2012 to present
Dr Luke Inman (medical practitioner)
- Sports Physician in private practice
- Senior registrar of the Australasian College of Sports Physicians (ACSP)
- Chief Medical Officer - Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Rugby League
- Former Sydney Swans Reserve Grade doctor
- Former NSW Waratahs Assistant doctor
Mr Kevin Greene
- Former Minister for Sport and Recreation 2008 – 2011
- Member of the NSW Legislative Assembly 1999 – 2011
- Active member of the community with a wide range of involvement including sports
- Director Cricket NSW
- Director Racing NSW
Mr Chris Gardiner
- Former CEO of NSW PCYC with oversight of the wide range of ‘martial’ sports, including boxing, wrestling, judo, taekwondo, and various other martial art forms and considerable knowledge of the peak bodies
- Post Grad qualifications in professional ethics, with an interest in sports ethics
- Former Board member of Amateur Boxing NSW
- Former roles with Catholic Healthcare and Anglican Aid Overseas
- Director, Institute for Civic Leadership
- Ministerial appointed panel member to Health Professionals Standards Council tribunals and committees
Detective Superintendent Deb Wallace (nominee of the Commissioner of Police)
- Commander, Gangs Squad, State Crime Command, NSW Police Force
- 2011 recipient of the Australia Day Honours List, Australian Police Medal
- Graduate certificate of Police Management
- Extensive experience in gang related crime
Adam Casselden SC
- Barrister – called to the NSW Bar in 1998
- Particular expertise in Sports Law
- Appointed as a Judicial Officer by World Rugby for the 2015 Rugby World Cup
- Appointed as a Judicial Officer by SANZAAR (South Africa, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina Rugby Unions)
- Appointed by various National Sporting Federations to sit on their Olympic Appeals Tribunals.
- Former legal counsel for Australian Rugby Union, Football Federation Australia, NSW Rugby Union, Western Sydney Wanderers FC, Central Coast Mariners FC, Department of Sport & Recreation, various National Sporting Federations and NRL players.
- Has appeared as legal counsel in Coronial Inquests relating to sporting incidents.
- Member of the Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association